Real Madrid won the 2021-22 UEFA Champions League beating Liverpool. The Spanish team won their record 14th Champions League title and once again cemented their place at the very top of European football.
Now, the Champions League 2022-23 season is about to start on 6th September, a little early this year due to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 which will take place in November and December.
Before the start of the Group stage of the UCL, the Group Stage draw will be made on 25th August. During this event, various awards will also be presented by UEFA.
When will the UCL 2022-23 group stage draw take place?
The UCL 2021-22 group stage draw will take place on Thursday 25th August at 9:30 pm IST.
Where will the UCL 2022-23 group stage draw take place?
The UCL 2022-23 group stage draw will be held in Istanbul, Turkey.
How can you watch the UCL 2022-23 group stage draw?
The UCL 2022-23 group stage draw will be live-streamed on UEFA’s official website.
Teams involved in UCL 2022-23 group stage draw
As of now, only 26 teams have qualified for the UEFA Champions League this season. The last six group stage berths will be decided via the play-offs which will take place before the draw on 23rd and 24th August.
- Real Madrid (ESP, Champions League holders)
- Eintracht Frankfurt (GER, Europa League holders)
- Manchester City (ENG)
- AC Milan (ITA)
- Bayern München (GER)
- Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
- Porto (POR)
- Ajax (NED)
- Liverpool (ENG)
- Chelsea (ENG)
- Barcelona (ESP)
- Juventus (ITA)
- Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
- Sevilla (ESP)
- RB Leipzig (GER)
- Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
- Borussia Dortmund (GER)
- Salzburg (AUT)
- Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
- Inter (ITA)
- Napoli (ITA)
- Sporting CP (POR)
- Bayer Leverkusen (GER)
- Marseille (FRA)
- Club Brugge (BEL)
- Celtic (SCO)
- Benfica (POR)
- Maccabi Haifa (ISR)
- Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
How does the UCL 2022-23 group stage draw work?
- The draw features 32 teams: 26 teams given direct entry to the group stage and the six winners of the play-off ties.
- The teams will be split into four seeding pots. Pot 1 will consist of the holders, the UEFA Europa League winners and the champions of the six highest-ranked nations who did not qualify via one of the 2021/22 titles; Pots 2 to 4 will be determined by the club coefficient rankings.
- In the case of associations with two representatives, clubs will be paired in order to split their matches between Tuesdays and Wednesdays. In the case of associations with four representatives, two pairings will be made. These pairings are to be based on TV audiences.
- No team can play a side from their own association. Any other restrictions will be announced ahead of the draw.
When will the UCL 2022-23 Group stage start?
Matchday 1: 6-7 September 2022
Matchday 2: 13-14 September 2022
Matchday 3: 4-5 October 2022
Matchday 4: 11-12 October 2022
Matchday 5: 25-26 October 2022
Matchday 6: 1-2 November 2022
When will the UCL 2022-23 knockout stages start?
Round of 16: 14-15 and 21-22 February & 7-8 and 14-15 March 2023
Quarter-finals: 11-12 & 18-19 April 2023
Semi-finals: 9-10 & 16-17 May 2023
Final: 10 June 2023
The UEFA Champions League 2022-23 final will take place at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul, Turkish on 10th June 2023.